- The "laboratory mouse" originated from a mixture of M. m. domesticus, M. m. musculus, and M. m. molossius subspecies. An inbred strain of the laboratory
mouse is defined as a strain that has been brother/sister mated for 20
or more consecutive generations and can be traced to a single ancestral
pair. For further information about inbred strains of mice see
Strains, SNPs and Polymorphisms.
Mouse Genome Length Estimates
||Reference assembly (C57BL/6J, "golden path") length: the sum of non-redundant top level sequence regions (J:80507).|
|2.5 x 109 bp
||Mouse Genome Sequencing Consortium. 2002. Initial sequencing and comparative analysis of the mouse genome. Nature 420: 520-562.|
||BSS and BSB crosses: Rowe LB; Barter ME; Kelmenson JA; Eppig J. 2003. Genome Res 13(1):122-33
||Copeland, NG, et al. 1993. Science 62:57-66. (J:14384).
||Dietrich, WF et al. 1996. Nature Mar 14:380(6570)149-52 ( J:34212).
|Mouse Chromosomal Size
- Mapped Length represents the (MGI) estimated cM position of the most distally placed locus on that chromosome. Total Estimated Size omits centromeres and telomeres which would add, on average, ~8 Mb per chromosome or ~160 Mb to the genome. It also omits uncaptured gaps between supercontigs.
|Total Estimated Size (M bp)|
(NCBI build 37)
|X|| ||nda |
|nda = No data available|
- The estimates below are based on information in Biology
of the Laboratory Mouse (the Staff of The Jackson Laboratory, E. Green, ed. 1966, Dover Publications, New York) and in the Mouse Phenome Database (MPD) at the Jackson Laboratory.
- Note: Strain variation can affect these values significantly.
- Body weight: average ~20 g; highly variable
- Weight charts for select JAX® Mice strains
- Mouse Phenome Database: body weight
- Body Temperature: ~36.9 C (in addition to strain, variables are age, sex, environmental conditions)
- Lifespan: 1.3 - 3 years; highly variable
- Sexual maturity: after ~4 weeks of age; highly variable
- Estrus cycle frequency: every ~4-5 days
- Gestation: Average 19-21 days
- Litter size: usually 1-10 pups - highly variable due to genetic
and environmental factors; tends to increase for the first few litters, then decrease with age
- Reproductive lifespan of a female: approaches 2 years in some
- Lactation: duration ~4 weeks
- Mouse Phenome Database: reproduction data
- Total serum protein: ~4-7 g/100 ml
- Blood volume: ~5.5 ml per 100 g body weight
- Heart rate: Adult: 632 +/- 51.3 beats per minute; Newborn: 286 +/- 56.8 beats per minute
- Mouse Phenome Database: cardiovascular
- Systolic pressure: 83-164 mm Hg
- Blood pH: 7.3-7.4
- Mouse Phenome Database: pH, blood chemistry
- Respiratory rate: ~163 per minute
- Mouse Phenome Database: respiratory function
- Tidal volume: ~0.15 ml
- Urinary Tract
- Average urine output: ~1.6 ml per 24 hr
- Average water intake: ~ 5 ml per 24 hr