Example 1. Finding expression data in the mouse brain for gene Ptch1
- Type Ptch1 into the Genes
nomenclature text box.
- Type brain into the Anatomical Structures
text box and select brain from the list that appears. Theiler stage
ranges ("TS17–28" for "brain") accompany
each anatomical structure indicating developmental stages where a
given tissue exists. To restrict your search to a specific embryonic
or adult stage, use the box to the right.
- If desired, also select other options to target your your search,
including wildtype or mutant specific
expression, and preferred assay type(s).
To run a search for expression in a set of tissues and/or
during a particular developmental stage and not in others, use
the Differential Expression Search tab. See
for more on the Differential Expression search.
- Click Search.
- The Results table indicates the genes for which data is
returned, assays (independent experiments with references), assay
results, images, tissue x stage matrix and tissue by gene matrix in t
he tabs along the top.
To see more about each of these tabs, read on in How do I interpret the results of my expression search?
- To proceed with this example, remain on the Assay Results tab shown
- Filter the table using the options above the table (which filters
all tabs simultaneously), or sort
individual tables by clicking on the arrows in the headers. Note
that both "Detected" and "Not Detected" results will appear
unless specified in the Anatomical structure or stage section
of the query. To change the search parameters, use the Click to modify
search button which remains at the top of the page.
- Click the data hyperlink in the Result Details
column on the
Assay results tab to view details from assays that examined Ptch1 expression
in the brain.
- Click on the triangle toggles to expand specimen details.