About   Help   FAQ
Phenotypes associated with this allele
Allele Symbol
Allele Name
Allele ID
Vegfatm2Pec
targeted mutation 2, Peter Carmeliet
MGI:2136623
Summary 2 genotypes
Jump to Allelic Composition Genetic Background Genotype ID
hm1
Vegfatm2Pec/Vegfatm2Pec involves: 129S1/Sv * 129X1/SvJ MGI:3796444
cx2
Tg(SOD1*G93A)1Gur/0
Vegfatm2Pec/Vegfatm2Pec
involves: 129S1/Sv * 129X1/SvJ * C57BL/6 * SJL MGI:4831157


Genotype
MGI:3796444
hm1
Allelic
Composition
Vegfatm2Pec/Vegfatm2Pec
Genetic
Background
involves: 129S1/Sv * 129X1/SvJ
Find Mice Using the International Mouse Strain Resource (IMSR)
Mouse lines carrying:
Vegfatm2Pec mutation (0 available); any Vegfa mutation (9 available)
phenotype observed in females
phenotype observed in males
N normal phenotype
mortality/aging
• 60% die before or around birth while the remaining 40% survive more than 23 months (J:69797)
• 60% die before or around birth while the remaining 40% survive more than 23 months (J:69797)
• 60% die before or around birth while the remaining 40% survive more than 23 months (J:69797)
• 60% die before or around birth while the remaining 40% survive more than 23 months (J:69797)

growth/size/body
• surviving mutants are about 25% smaller at birth (J:69797)
• surviving mutants are about 25% smaller at birth (J:69797)
• surviving mutants gain about 45% less weight than wild-type (J:69797)
• surviving mutants gain about 45% less weight than wild-type (J:69797)

behavior/neurological
• mutants develop coarse fur indicative of impaired grooming (J:69797)
• mutants develop coarse fur indicative of impaired grooming (J:69797)
• mutants have difficulty turning over when placed on their backs at 5 months of age and can hardly turn over at all by 15 months of age (J:69797)
• mutants have difficulty turning over when placed on their backs at 5 months of age and can hardly turn over at all by 15 months of age (J:69797)
• when lifted by the tail, mutants reflexively contract their limbs to the trunk and remain immobile (J:69797)
• when lifted by the tail, mutants reflexively contract their limbs to the trunk and remain immobile (J:69797)
• in the grid test, mutants fall off the grid much quicker than wild-type (J:69797)
• mutants perform worse in the rotating axle test, falling off much quicker than wild-type (J:69797)
• in the grid test, mutants fall off the grid much quicker than wild-type (J:69797)
• mutants perform worse in the rotating axle test, falling off much quicker than wild-type (J:69797)
• mutants have difficulties in grabbing a horizontal thread with their hindlimbs and hang immobile, while wild-type immediately grab the thread (J:69797)
• mutants have difficulties in grabbing a horizontal thread with their hindlimbs and hang immobile, while wild-type immediately grab the thread (J:69797)
• mutants are less active at night and for much shorter periods than wild-type (J:69797)
• mutants are less active at night and for much shorter periods than wild-type (J:69797)
• mutants slap their paws while walking and have a waddling gait (J:69797)
• mutants slap their paws while walking and have a waddling gait (J:69797)
• severely paralysis after ischemic insult by clamping the aortic arch, left subclavian artery and internal mammary artery for only 8 min (J:84843)
• no recovery neurologically (J:84843)
• severely paralysis after ischemic insult by clamping the aortic arch, left subclavian artery and internal mammary artery for only 8 min (J:84843)
• no recovery neurologically (J:84843)
• mutants show progressive signs of limb paresis (J:69797)
• mutants show progressive signs of limb paresis (J:69797)
• older males are sexually inactive, possibly due to motor dysfunction (J:69797)
• older males are sexually inactive, possibly due to motor dysfunction (J:69797)

muscle
• progressive skeletal muscle fiber atrophy after 4 months of age; atrophy is specific for extrafusal muscle fibers and does not affect muscle spindles or cardiac muscle fibers (J:69797)
• however show no signs of fiber necrosis, sarcomere lysis or sarcolemma disruption, fatty infiltration, fibrosis or dystrophic calcification (J:69797)
• progressive skeletal muscle fiber atrophy after 4 months of age; atrophy is specific for extrafusal muscle fibers and does not affect muscle spindles or cardiac muscle fibers (J:69797)
• however show no signs of fiber necrosis, sarcomere lysis or sarcolemma disruption, fatty infiltration, fibrosis or dystrophic calcification (J:69797)
• the ankle dorsal flexor muscles of old mice generate only 65% of the maximal force upon tetanic stimulation (J:69797)
• latencies of compound muscle action potentials are slightly increased (J:69797)
• the ankle dorsal flexor muscles of old mice generate only 65% of the maximal force upon tetanic stimulation (J:69797)
• latencies of compound muscle action potentials are slightly increased (J:69797)
• mutants become progressively less mobile and show signs of severe muscle weakness and limb paresis (J:69797)
• muscle weakness is not due to impaired oxygenation or reduced levels of hemoglobin (J:69797)
• mutants become progressively less mobile and show signs of severe muscle weakness and limb paresis (J:69797)
• muscle weakness is not due to impaired oxygenation or reduced levels of hemoglobin (J:69797)

nervous system
• prominent reactive astrocytosis in the ventral horn of the spinal cord is seen beyond 7 months of age (J:69797)
• prominent reactive astrocytosis in the ventral horn of the spinal cord is seen beyond 7 months of age (J:69797)
• focal spheroid axon swellings often occur in several cranial motor nerves and in the ventral horns of the spinal cords beyond 7 months of age (J:69797)
• mutants show features of Wallerian degeneration, including shrunken vacuolated axoplasm, disorganized neurofilaments, few abnormal mitochondria, endoneural fibrosis, and infiltration of macrophages (J:69797)
• focal spheroid axon swellings often occur in several cranial motor nerves and in the ventral horns of the spinal cords beyond 7 months of age (J:69797)
• mutants show features of Wallerian degeneration, including shrunken vacuolated axoplasm, disorganized neurofilaments, few abnormal mitochondria, endoneural fibrosis, and infiltration of macrophages (J:69797)
• aberrant neurofilament accumulation is seen in the motor, but not sensory, nuclei or roots of several cranial nerves in mutants older than 7 months of age (J:69797)
• aberrant neurofilament accumulation is seen in the motor, but not sensory, nuclei or roots of several cranial nerves in mutants older than 7 months of age (J:69797)
• phrenic nerves progressively lose their large myelinated Agamma motor axons, which innervate the extrafusal muscle fibers (J:69797)
• phrenic nerves progressively lose their large myelinated Agamma motor axons, which innervate the extrafusal muscle fibers (J:69797)
• sciatic nerves progressively lose their large myelinated Agamma motor axons, which innervate the extrafusal muscle fibers (J:69797)
• sciatic nerves progressively lose their large myelinated Agamma motor axons, which innervate the extrafusal muscle fibers (J:69797)
• phosphorylated neurofilament inclusions are seen in the ventral horns of older mutants (J:69797)
• phosphorylated neurofilament inclusions are seen in the ventral horns of older mutants (J:69797)
• neurodegeneration is due to reduced neural vascular perfusion (J:69797)
• neurodegeneration is due to reduced neural vascular perfusion (J:69797)
• surviving mutants appear healthy until 5 months of age, when they develop progressive motor neuron degeneration of lower motor neurons (J:69797)
• motor neuron degeneration occurs especially in the ventral horn of the spinal cord (30% loss at 17 months) and the motor nuclei in the brain stem (J:69797)
• loss of motor axons in peripheral nerves (J:69797)
• surviving mutants appear healthy until 5 months of age, when they develop progressive motor neuron degeneration of lower motor neurons (J:69797)
• motor neuron degeneration occurs especially in the ventral horn of the spinal cord (30% loss at 17 months) and the motor nuclei in the brain stem (J:69797)
• loss of motor axons in peripheral nerves (J:69797)
• sciatic and phrenic nerves progressively lose their large myelinated Agamma motor axons, which innervate the extrafusal muscle fiber (J:69797)
• sciatic and phrenic nerves progressively lose their large myelinated Agamma motor axons, which innervate the extrafusal muscle fiber (J:69797)

reproductive system
(J:69797)
(J:69797)

skeleton

cardiovascular system
• in skeletal muscle, capillary lumen sizes are smaller (J:69797)
• however, capillary-to-muscle ratios, fluoroangiography, and microvascular partial oxygen pressure were normal, indicating that motor neuron degeneration is not secondary to muscle ischemia (J:69797)
• in skeletal muscle, capillary lumen sizes are smaller (J:69797)
• however, capillary-to-muscle ratios, fluoroangiography, and microvascular partial oxygen pressure were normal, indicating that motor neuron degeneration is not secondary to muscle ischemia (J:69797)
• laser Doppler measurements show that baseline neural blood flow is lower than in wild-type, even though the neural vascular flow similarly increases by about 40% in response to hypercapnia, indicating a deficit in neural vascular perfusion (J:69797)
• laser Doppler measurements show that baseline neural blood flow is lower than in wild-type, even though the neural vascular flow similarly increases by about 40% in response to hypercapnia, indicating a deficit in neural vascular perfusion (J:69797)

integument
• mutants develop coarse fur indicative of impaired grooming (J:69797)
• mutants develop coarse fur indicative of impaired grooming (J:69797)

respiratory system
• a small fraction of mutants that die at birth exhibit lung prematurity (J:77480)
• a small fraction of mutants that die at birth exhibit lung prematurity (J:77480)
• in a small fraction of mutants, a significantly increased alveolar septal thickness is noted at birth (J:77480)
• in a small fraction of mutants, a significantly increased alveolar septal thickness is noted at birth (J:77480)
• in a small fraction of mutants, lung aeration (percentage of total surface filled with air) fails to increase after birth (J:77480)
• in a small fraction of mutants, lung aeration (percentage of total surface filled with air) fails to increase after birth (J:77480)

Mouse Models of Human Disease
OMIM ID Ref(s)
Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis 1; ALS1 105400 J:69797




Genotype
MGI:4831157
cx2
Allelic
Composition
Tg(SOD1*G93A)1Gur/0
Vegfatm2Pec/Vegfatm2Pec
Genetic
Background
involves: 129S1/Sv * 129X1/SvJ * C57BL/6 * SJL
Find Mice Using the International Mouse Strain Resource (IMSR)
Mouse lines carrying:
Tg(SOD1*G93A)1Gur mutation (3 available)
Vegfatm2Pec mutation (0 available); any Vegfa mutation (9 available)
phenotype observed in females
phenotype observed in males
N normal phenotype
mortality/aging
• die earlier (107 3 d) than Tg(SOD1*G93A)1Gur mice (J:84843)
• die earlier (107 3 d) than Tg(SOD1*G93A)1Gur mice (J:84843)

muscle
• worse muscle weakness than Tg(SOD1*G93A)1Gur mice (J:84843)
• worse muscle weakness than Tg(SOD1*G93A)1Gur mice (J:84843)

behavior/neurological
• perform worse in the rotarod test (unable to stay for 2 min on the rotarod beyond 98 2 d) than Tg(SOD1*G93A)1Gur mice (J:84843)
• perform worse in the rotarod test (unable to stay for 2 min on the rotarod beyond 98 2 d) than Tg(SOD1*G93A)1Gur mice (J:84843)





Contributing Projects:
Mouse Genome Database (MGD), Gene Expression Database (GXD), Mouse Tumor Biology (MTB), Gene Ontology (GO), MouseCyc
Citing These Resources
Funding Information
Warranty Disclaimer & Copyright Notice
Send questions and comments to User Support.
last database update
02/02/2016
MGI 6.02
The Jackson Laboratory